Monday, September 06, 2010

abAutorig part I Pyro tutorial :Animation with a moustache

Former APT student Olivier Ladeuix has put together a nice collection of rigging video tutorials based on the abAutorigger from Supercrumbly. It's a pretty good system for those who want to rig up their own characters, but may not be riggers at heart. Olivier does a nice job of thoroughly stepping through the process. Super extra bonus points because he uses my favorite TF2 character, too! (which is another reason I dig Valve- we release our rigs and assets to the world to play with. Not many [any?!] film studios are willing to do that.)

Here's his first part (there are 4 parts to the entire series).

Be sure to check it out.

8 comments:

Omar said...

Wow this is all a free tutorial? Fantastic!

Josh Bowman said...

and that's why I totally don't mind that Valve are taking their time with the continuation of the Half Life series.

nate said...

I love this! and I love valve.. but is there a place where I can just download this rig to animate? I dont really want to fiddle with rigging at this point..

Olivier Ladeuix said...

thanks for the plug Keith! ;-)

Wade said...

Well, well. Looks VERY much like "Mr.Setup" the auto rigger that I built. Wonder if he borrowed/stole some ideas. ;) Auto rigs are auto rigs, I guess.

http://waderyer.com/tutorials/mrSetup/index.html

David Beer said...

Wade, I plead with you, make an awesome quad rig, people will pay good money for one of yer rigs man. Folks still talk 'bout the monkey this side of the pond!!

Virgil said...

never used this autorigger, but I can't wait to give it a try. so far, I found setupMachine to be the only acceptable autorigged... rig, but problem with SM is that it's too slow, way too much "junk" in it. so until the day when I'll have some time to build my own simple superfast auto-rig... I'm still looking, and hoping to find something flexible, animation-friendly, simple and fast. :D Like... fast fast fast!! I use to not care so much about this, until I realized it's very doable, that a rig can be not only real time, but way faster than real time. which is helpful for when you have 2 or more characters in the scene ;)

Pandalope said...

I was the Animation Lead for my thesis film and I totally used the abAutorigger. I find it to be way more solid than the setup machine, primarily with the spine and shoulder controls. It's also way easy to setup and has a lot of nice spaces to switch between. There is no bendbo on the arms or legs, but you can add that in.

PS: where could one find the TF2 rigs?